Mother’s Day: It’s a day to show your appreciation for the woman who raised you.. or to thank the mother of your children. (Seriously guys, if you’re not getting your wife a Mother’s Day gift, you should be. You’ll thank me for this marriage tip — “Happy wife, happy life,” etc.)
Every year, I am reminded of all that my mother did for me. She truly made me the woman I am today. She taught me the value of hard work, independence and education. Being an entrepreneur can be challenging. My mother talks me through the hard days, boosts my confidence when I need it and gives me valuable advice. She serves as my sounding board, a trusted advisor and my most supportive friend. She continues to teach me patience and determination. Most of all, she instilled in me a passion for philanthropy and charity. Mothers have the hardest and most important job in the world—raising children. That’s why, in addition to treating my beautiful mother and grandmother to brunch, I like to support family-focused causes in order to honor and support mothers around the world. Some of my favorites:
- National Charity League fosters mother-daughter relationship building through philanthropy and community service. What a great thing to do after that Mother’s Day brunch!
- MomsRising.org focuses on mother and family related economic security issues such as paid family leave, earned sick days, affordable childcare and childhood nutrition.
- Healthy Child Healthy World creates educational resources for parents and caregivers so they can make informed decisions to protect the health and development of their children.
- Human Options is an Orange County based charity that helps abused women, their children and families rebuild their lives. They work with the community to break the cycle of domestic violence.
- Kiva allows people to lend money to low-income and underserved entrepreneurs to start businesses and support their families. You can even buy your Mom a Kiva gift card so she can choose a woman to lend to. I love giving this gift to the person who has everything.
- Every Mother Counts supports maternal health programs making pregnancy and childbirth safe for mothers around the world.
Americans will spend $21.2 billion on Mother’s Day gifts this year. While Mama certainly deserves to be showered with love and appreciation, imagine how less fortunate mothers around the world could be served with just a portion of these funds.
So tell me, how do you honor your mom, grandmother or other motherly figures in your life on Mother’s Day? What do you think about including philanthropy in your holiday? I bet Mom would be proud!